This is NOT a gluton-free recipe.
Review the helpful tips at the bottom before getting started.
Blend dry ingredients in a bowl (whisking works well):
3 cups flour
¾ cup salt
2.5oz (7½ tbsp) Cream of Tartar
Boil 3 cups water
Add 6 tbsp vegetable oil
*Mix water/oil mixture with the dry ingredients and knead
Be creative! You can also mix in things like Koolaid (for color and smell), cinnamon, extract, or other seasonings, food coloring, sand and coffee grounds.
*Helpful tips for the mixing step:
- Add any food coloring, extract and/or additional liquid ingredients to the water/oil mixture.
- You MUST use a metal or glass bowl (NOT plastic) or the playdough won’t turn out right.
- If it does not come together within a few of minutes in the bowl, try putting the whole mixture in a metal saucepan over low heat. Use a sturdy spoon to mix until it comes together. Once it forms a “lump”, remove and knead by hand to finish.
- Even better, use a stainless steel saucepan large enough to hold all the ingredients to boil the water. Add the oil, reduce the heat to low, and then add the pre-mixed dry ingredients to the saucepan and keep over low heat. Use a sturdy spoon to mix until it comes together. This may take 10 minutes or so. A small amount may stick to the bottom of the pan, but most will come together as a “lump” of playdough. Once it forms a lump, remove and knead by hand to finish.
- Once mixed, the playdough will be very hot. Be careful! Sometimes wearing food service gloves helps when kneading.
- Let it cool completely before storing.
- Remember to store in a solid container; plastic bags/baggies (Ziplock, etc.) are not allowed at the school per State regulations.